Susan Moffatt-Bruce, MD, PhD, MBA
- Thoracic Surgery
- Physician What's this? A physician, or doctor, is extensively trained to diagnose and treat complex medical problems. Often, physicians focus their practice on certain disease categories, treatment methods or patient types. Physicians can diagnose and treat illness, prescribe medication, offer medical consultation and advice, perform surgery and more.
Appointments: (614) 293-9059
About MeI’m a cardiothoracic surgeon and my clinical interests include advanced lung disease and thoracic oncology. Additionally, I serve Professor of surgery, division of thoracic surgery and Professor of biomedical informatics and molecular virology, immunology and medical genetics at The Ohio State University. I was named to the Castle Connolly list of “Regional Top Doctors” from 2017-2018 and rated in the top 10 percent of physicians in the nation for patient satisfaction in 2017.
One of my primary roles at OSU Wexner Medical Center is the Executive Director of University Hospital. As such, I am responsible for the administration and operations of the University Hospital which is inclusive a diverse portfolio of patient care and supportive services for the Medical Center.
I’m a member of the Society of Thoracic Surgeons, American Association of Thoracic Surgeons and the National Quality Forum. I have a large research portfolio that is entitled Ideas for the Design of Environments Aligned with Patient Safety (IDEA4PS) which focuses on making hospitals safer.
What I love about my job is that it’s different everyday. I perform surgery and develop procedures and processes that improve patient outcomes. Our work here at The James is challenging and rewarding, and I’m proud to be part of a team with such a clear and purposeful goal.
- Rated in the top 10 percent of physicians in the nation for patient satisfaction, 2015, 2016
- Named to the Castle Connolly list of “Regional Top Doctors,” 2017–2018
Additional Languages I Speak
Procedures and Conditions I Treat
- Thoracic Diseases
- Minimally Invasive Surgical Procedures
- Thoracic Surgery, Video-Assisted
- Esophageal Cancers
- Esophageal Diseases
- Mediastinal Diseases
- Pleural Effusion
- Lung Cancers
- Carcinoma, Non-Small-Cell Lung
- Tracheal Diseases
- Thoracic Surgery
- Barrett Esophagus
- Carcinoid Tumor
- Esophageal Achalasia
- Gastroesophageal Reflux
- Hernia, Hiatal
- Myasthenia Gravis
- Lung Volume Reduction Surgery
Locations Where I Practice
Education and Training
6/23/1999 - 6/20/2001
Cardio Thoracic Surgery
7/1/2001 - 6/30/2004
More About My Work
American Board of Surgery
American Board of Thoracic Surgery
News About Me
- Ohio State Wexner Medical Center to Add Inpatient Hospice Services
- Wexner Medical Center Names New Leadership Roles, Positions for Continued Growth
- Ohio State Earns Fourth Consecutive National Award for Quality Patient Care
- Ohio State Earns National Award for Excellence in Quality Patient Care
- Ohio State Ranks Third Nationally for Excellence in Patient Safety and Quality
- Barcodes Reduce Medication Errors in Emergency Departments
- Study Shows Diabetes Medication Can Reduce Atherosclerosis
Consulting and Related Relationships
At The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, we support a faculty member’s research and consulting in collaboration with medical device, research and/or drug companies because a faculty member’s expertise can guide important advancements in the practice of medicine and improve patient care. In order to provide effective management of these relationships, the University requires annual disclosures from all faculty members with external interests related to their University responsibilities.
As of 12/20/2018, Dr. Moffatt-Bruce has reported no relationships with companies or entities.