Contact Media Relations 614-293-3737
January 16, 2012
COLUMBUS, Ohio – Several physicians associated with The Ohio State University College of Medicine have received awards for sharing their time and expertise with medical students.
Distinguished Educator awards are given to faculty and preceptors who have shown extraordinary commitment to teaching and the promotion of outstanding patient care. Those receiving Distinguished Educator awards are:
- Dr. Richard Baltisberger (43023), pediatrics, Nationwide Children’s Hospital
- Dr. Mark DeBard (43004), emergency medicine, OSU Medical Center
- Dr. Kenneth Jones (43214), anatomy, OSU Medical Center
- Dr. Rodney Kusumi (43205), infectious disease, Grant Medical Center
- Dr. Victoria Ruff (43220), critical care, Riverside Methodist Hospital
- Dr. Roy St. John (43016), pulmonary and critical care, Mount Carmel Health Systems
Lifetime Achievement awards are given to physicians who have dedicated their professional lives and services to educating medical students.
Those receiving a Lifetime Achievement Award are:
- Dr. John P. Smith (posthumously) (43220), urology, Mount Carmel Health Systems
- Dr. Paul Weber (43221), ophthalmology, OSU Medical Center
- Dr. John S. Russ (43017), obstetrics and gynecology, Grant Medical Center
- Dr. Edward Bope (43201) family medicine, Riverside Methodist Hospital
The Preclinical Preceptor of the Year Award, which recognizes outstanding performance in the teaching of first- and second-year medical students in a community setting, was given to Dr. Christen Coyle (43221), a family medicine physician at May and Broyles Central Ohio Primary Care.
The Ambulatory Care Clerkship Preceptor of the Year Award, which recognizes outstanding performance in the teaching of third- or fourth-year medical students in a community setting, was given to Rivers Edge Family Practice (43220). This includes three family practice physicians, Dr. Shelley Blackburn, Dr. Michael Weiss, and Dr. David Brill.
# # #