Steps for adults who would like to become volunteers
Community volunteers are over 18 years of age and are not currently undergraduate students.
Adult community volunteers serve in areas throughout the medical center, providing information and service to families and visitors and assisting staff in patient care areas.
We request a minimum 50-hour commitment or six months of service. Most volunteers commit to one three-or-four-hour shift per week. Day, evening and weekend shifts are available.
- Have a sincere desire to help others and provide a service to patients, visitors and staff
- Purchase of a volunteer uniform ($22)
If it sounds like the Ohio State Wexner Medical Center is for you, please click on the link below to apply. If you would like a paper copy of the volunteer application mailed to you, please call us at 614-293-8653.
Community Volunteer Screening Process
Once you have completed the online application, you will be contacted regarding the following steps:
- Screening interview
- Criminal background check (conducted by the Ohio State Wexner Medical Center, including fingerprints)
- Volunteer orientation
- Flu vaccine required October through March; new volunteers must provide documentation
- TB screening or other immunizations may be required, depending on the activity
- Activity-specific training may be required, depending on activity
For more information on adult volunteers, contact us at 614-293-8653 or by email.