Alan Harzman, MD
- Colon and Rectal Surgery
- General Surgery
- Physician What's this? A physician, or doctor, is extensively trained to diagnose and treat complex medical problems. Often, physicians focus their practice on certain disease categories, treatment methods or patient types. Physicians can diagnose and treat illness, prescribe medication, offer medical consultation and advice, perform surgery and more.
Appointments: (614) 293-3230
About MeI practice in colon and rectal surgery, including the specialty area of minimally invasive surgery. Colon and rectal health are important, but often overlooked, areas of care. The right treatments address fundamental aspects of patients' overall health and well-being.
Whatever the health challenges of my patients, I listen to their unique concerns. I enjoy getting to know them. I believe it is important to help patients to do whatever we can to address and find solutions to their medical problems.
I work on a multispecialty team who will design a plan targeted and tailored for your individual care. This leads to more targeted treatments, fewer side effects and better outcomes. It is very satisfying to see how our customized interventions and care allow patients to improve their health and move on with their lives.
I enjoy the camaraderie and teamwork that are an integral part of working at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, especially our work to create a cancer-free world. It makes coming to work each day a special and highly fulfilling experience.
- Department of Surgery teaching awards from students and residents
- Membership in national surgical and medical education groups
- Rated in the top 10 percent of physicians in the nation for patient satisfaction, 2016, 2017
- Named to the Castle Connolly list of “Regional Top Doctors,” 2015–2018
Additional Languages I Speak
Procedures and Conditions I Treat
- General Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Surgical Procedures
- Fecal Incontinence
- Pelvic Floor Disorders
- Appendix Cancer
- Anal Gland Cancer
- Colorectal Surgery
- Anal Cancers
- Diverticulitis, Colonic
- Diverticulosis, Colonic
- Cecal Diseases
- Cecal Cancer
- Colitis, Ulcerative
- Colonic Polyps
- Colorectal Cancers
- Hereditary Nonpolyposis Colorectal Cancer
- Crohn Disease
- Diverticulum, Colon
- Gardner Syndrome
- Hirschsprung Disease
- Lynch Syndrome II
- Rectal Cancers
- Jejunal Cancers
- Rectovaginal Fistula
Locations Where I Practice
Education and Training
University of Texas Southwestern Medical School
7/1/2002 - 7/30/2006
Colon Rectal Surgery
Baylor University Medical Center
7/1/2006 - 6/30/2007
More About My Work
American Board of Colon & Rectal Surgery
American Board of Surgery
Colon and Rectal Surgery
78 Patient Satisfaction Reviews
The overall patient satisfaction rating is an average of all patient responses to the six doctor communication related questions shown below from the Clinician and Group Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems survey. For additional information about the patient satisfaction survey, please visit our Patient Satisfaction Survey page.
The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their view and opinions. The comments are not endorsed by and do not necessarily reflect the views of Ohio State Wexner Medical Center.
4.9 out of 5
- Explains Things Clearly 4.9
- Listens Carefully 4.9
- Gives Understandable Instructions 4.8
- Knows My Medical History 4.6
- Shows Respect 4.9
- Time Spent Together 4.9
19 Patient CommentsLoad More Comments
Consulting and Related Relationships
At The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, we support a faculty member’s research and consulting in collaboration with medical device, research and/or drug companies because a faculty member’s expertise can guide important advancements in the practice of medicine and improve patient care. In order to provide effective management of these relationships, the University requires annual disclosures from all faculty members with external interests related to their University responsibilities.
As of 03/26/2018, Dr. Harzman has reported no relationships with companies or entities.