Hisham Awan, MD
- Orthopaedic Surgery – Hand Surgery
- Orthopaedic Surgery
- Physician What's this? A physician, or doctor, is extensively trained to diagnose and treat complex medical problems. Often, physicians focus their practice on certain disease categories, treatment methods or patient types. Physicians can diagnose and treat illness, prescribe medication, offer medical consultation and advice, perform surgery and more.
Appointments: (614) 366-4263
About MeAs a hand and upper extremity orthopedic surgeon, I specialize in surgeries of the hand, wrist, elbow and shoulder. Upper extremity surgeons must be well versed in different surgical techniques including trauma, sports related injuries, joint replacement, tendon repairs and transfers, nerve repair and reconstruction, arthroscopy, microsurgery, along with many others. The variety of procedures always keeps my job interesting!
My patient care philosophy is to treat each patient how I would want someone to treat a member of my family. I never leave a patient room until I make sure my patient understands his or her condition and I have answered any and all questions. My job is to educate my patients on their conditions along with all of their treatment options, to help them decide which option is best for them.
I enjoy working with and teaching the residents and fellows here at Ohio State. I also enjoy working at a tertiary referral center like Ohio State, where we see the most complex cases. Finally, I am part of an outstanding orthopedic department with tremendous camaraderie.
When I’m not working, I like to spend my time relaxing with my family, traveling, attending Ohio State football games and watching movies.
- Associate Program Director for Education, OSU Orthopedic Residency, 2013 - present
- Orthopedic Educator of the Year, 2015
- Helped establish the OSU Hand and Upper Extremity Fellowship, 2011
- Rated in the top 10 percent of physicians in the nation for patient satisfaction, 2016
Additional Languages I Speak
Procedures and Conditions I Treat
- Tennis Elbow
- Arthroplasty, Replacement, Elbow
- Cubital Tunnel Syndrome
- Peripheral Nerve Injuries
- Sports Medicine
- Surgical Procedures, Operative
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Hand Injuries
- Athletic Injuries
- Fractures, Bone
- Arm Injuries
- Tendon Transfer
Locations Where I Practice
Jameson Crane Sports Medicine Institute
Education and Training
Detroit Receiving Hospital
7/1/2004 - 6/30/2006
Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center
7/1/2006 - 6/30/2009
UPMC Presbyterian Hospital
8/1/2009 - 7/31/2010
More About My Work
American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery (Subspecialty: Surgery of the Hand)
263 Patient Satisfaction Reviews
The overall patient satisfaction rating is an average of all patient responses to the six doctor communication related questions shown below from the Clinician and Group Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems survey. For additional information about the patient satisfaction survey, please visit our Patient Satisfaction Survey page.
The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their view and opinions. The comments are not endorsed by and do not necessarily reflect the views of Ohio State Wexner Medical Center.
4.7 out of 5
- Explains Things Clearly 4.8
- Listens Carefully 4.8
- Gives Understandable Instructions 4.7
- Knows My Medical History 4.3
- Shows Respect 4.8
- Time Spent Together 4.7
67 Patient CommentsLoad More Comments
Consulting and Related Relationships
At The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, we support a faculty member’s research and consulting in collaboration with medical device, research and/or drug companies because a faculty member’s expertise can guide important advancements in the practice of medicine and improve patient care. In order to provide effective management of these relationships, the University requires annual disclosures from all faculty members with external interests related to their University responsibilities.
As of 12/20/2018, Dr. Awan has reported no relationships with companies or entities.