Jaime Imitola Herrera, MD
About MeI am a multiple sclerosis (MS) neurologist, a neuroimmunologist and stem cell scientist. I am passionate about my work because I want to alleviate the suffering of our MS patients.
I combine what I’ve learned from patients with a rigorous program of laboratory research. This will help to generate new approaches to treat MS. I am using what we’ve learned from the human genome and genetics to improve the diagnosis and personalized treatment of MS patients.
I’m interested in providing comprehensive and interdisciplinary care to MS patients, especially those who have progressive neurodegenerative disease and cognitive decline. Our MS center shares that philosophy and we are committed to our patients.
- Named to the Castle Connolly list of “Regional Top Doctors,” 2018
- Discovered the first molecular mechanism of migration of neural stem cells in model of central nervous system (CNS) injury
- Pioneered research in immunology of neural stem cells
- Multiple awards for both excellence in clinical teaching and research
Procedures and Conditions I Treat
- Encephalomyelitis, Acute Disseminated
- Myelitis, Transverse
- Autoimmune Diseases of the Nervous System
- Demyelinating Autoimmune Diseases, CNS
- Multiple Sclerosis, Relapsing-Remitting
- Diffuse Cerebral Sclerosis of Schilder
- Leukoencephalitis, Acute Hemorrhagic
- Susac Syndrome
- Vasculitis, Central Nervous System
- Encephalomyelitis, Autoimmune, Experimental
- Optic Neuritis
- Paraneoplastic Syndromes
- Limbic Encephalitis
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Multiple Sclerosis, Chronic Progressive
- Neuromyelitis Optica
Locations Where I Practice
Education and Training
Universidad De Cartagena
Temple University Hospital
7/1/2009 - 6/30/2012
Brigham and Women's Hospital
9/1/1997 - 12/30/2004
Thomas Jefferson University Hospital
9/1/2012 - 9/27/2013
More About My Work
American Board of Psychiatry & Neurology (Subspecialty: Neurology)
106 Patient Satisfaction Reviews
The overall patient satisfaction rating is an average of all patient responses to the six doctor communication related questions shown below from the Clinician and Group Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems survey. For additional information about the patient satisfaction survey, please visit our Patient Satisfaction Survey page.
The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their view and opinions. The comments are not endorsed by and do not necessarily reflect the views of Ohio State Wexner Medical Center.
4.5 out of 5
- Explains Things Clearly 4.6
- Listens Carefully 4.6
- Gives Understandable Instructions 4.3
- Knows My Medical History 4.1
- Shows Respect 4.6
- Time Spent Together 4.6
9 Patient Comments
Consulting and Related Relationships
At The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, we support a faculty member’s research and consulting in collaboration with medical device, research and/or drug companies because a faculty member’s expertise can guide important advancements in the practice of medicine and improve patient care. In order to provide effective management of these relationships, the University requires annual disclosures from all faculty members with external interests related to their University responsibilities.
As of 03/26/2018, Dr. Imitola Herrera has reported relationships with the companies or entities listed below. If you have questions about the relationships listed below, please ask the faculty member. If you have questions about how these relationships are monitored by The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, please contact our Compliance Office at 614-293-7802.