Jan Schwab, MD, PhD
- Physician What's this? A physician, or doctor, is extensively trained to diagnose and treat complex medical problems. Often, physicians focus their practice on certain disease categories, treatment methods or patient types. Physicians can diagnose and treat illness, prescribe medication, offer medical consultation and advice, perform surgery and more.
Appointments: (614) 293-4969
About MeAs a neurologist at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, I specialize in diseases affecting the spinal cord, including neurotrauma as well as non-traumatic degenerative and inflammatory spinal cord conditions.
I am a physician-scientist with a focus on treating patients with spinal cord injury. I provide my patients with top quality care and develop new avenues to improve healthcare for the future.
My research aims to better understand and treat the maladaptive immune response caused by a disconnection between the central nervous system and the immune system after spinal cord injury. I explore strategies to prevent harmful outcomes such as infections, which can arise due to spinal cord injury-induced immune deficiency syndrome. Infections are prevalent and are a major cause of disability and even mortality in patients following spinal cord injury.
What I enjoy most about working here at Ohio State is the collegiality among my colleagues, as well as the various opportunities for research.
When I’m not working I like to spend time with my family and enjoying sports and the arts.
- “Novartis Award,” German Society of Pharmacology, 2011
- “Sir Ludwig Guttmann Award,” German Paraplegia Society, 2006
- “German Pain Award,” German Pain Society, 2005
- Hannelore Kohl Foundation, Neurotraumatology, 2005
- German Research Council (DFG)-Research Fellowship, Boston, 2005
- “Poste Rouge-Award,” CNRS, Paris, 2004
Procedures and Conditions I Treat
- Spinal Cord Injuries
Locations Where I Practice
Education and Training
Charite - University Hospital of Berlin
1/1/2007 - 12/4/2012
University of Tuebingen
1/1/1999 - 6/30/2000
University of Tuebingen
7/1/2000 - 1/31/2004
More About My Work
News About Me
Consulting and Related Relationships
At The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, we support a faculty member’s research and consulting in collaboration with medical device, research and/or drug companies because a faculty member’s expertise can guide important advancements in the practice of medicine and improve patient care. In order to provide effective management of these relationships, the University requires annual disclosures from all faculty members with external interests related to their University responsibilities.
As of 12/20/2018, Dr. Schwab has reported no relationships with companies or entities.