Jean Starr, MD
- Vascular Surgery
- Physician What's this? A physician, or doctor, is extensively trained to diagnose and treat complex medical problems. Often, physicians focus their practice on certain disease categories, treatment methods or patient types. Physicians can diagnose and treat illness, prescribe medication, offer medical consultation and advice, perform surgery and more.
Appointments: (614) 293-8536
About MeI’ve had many family members who have serious (and often life-threatening) illnesses, so I have been on the “receiving end” of the healthcare system. I hope I can treat patients how I prefer to be treated. It’s very rewarding to meet an extremely nervous patient for the first time and by the end of the visit, to see them relax and tell you that they trust you.
I chose vascular surgery during my general surgery residency because the patients are often very complicated with multiple medical problems. I enjoy helping sort these problems out and caring for “really sick” patients. Vascular patients are, in general, very thankful. They don’t expect to be “cured,” but they want to be comfortable and live a relatively normal life.
In my free time, I enjoy cycling. I have ridden in Pelotonia every year since it began. I have a close set of friends who all ride together and keep pushing me to be better. I enjoy riding for the health benefits and miss it during Ohio winters – I get too bored to do indoor cycling.
- Rated in the top 10 percent of physicians in the nation for patient satisfaction, 2014, 2015, 2016
- Women’s Leadership Award, Society for Vascular Surgery
- Medical Director of Endovascular Services, The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center
- Named to the Castle Connolly list of “Regional Top Doctors,” 2012–2018
Procedures and Conditions I Treat
- Vascular Diseases
- Aortic Aneurysm
- Carotid Artery Diseases
- Subclavian Steal Syndrome
- Peripheral Arterial Disease
- Intermittent Claudication
- Limb Salvage
- Mesenteric Vascular Occlusion
- Renal Artery Obstruction
- Embolism and Thrombosis
- Arteriovenous Fistula
- Vena Cava Filters
- Hypertension, Renovascular
Locations Where I Practice
Richard M. Ross Heart Hospital
Outpatient Care Upper Arlington
Education and Training
Ohio State University College of Medicine
Cleveland Clinic Hospital
7/1/1990 - 6/30/1994
Cleveland Clinic Hospital
7/1/1994 - 6/30/1995
More About My Work
American Board of Surgery
American Board of Surgery (Subspecialty: Vascular Surgery)
Vascular Diseases and Surgery
197 Patient Satisfaction Reviews
The overall patient satisfaction rating is an average of all patient responses to the six doctor communication related questions shown below from the Clinician and Group Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems survey. For additional information about the patient satisfaction survey, please visit our Patient Satisfaction Survey page.
The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their view and opinions. The comments are not endorsed by and do not necessarily reflect the views of Ohio State Wexner Medical Center.
4.8 out of 5
- Explains Things Clearly 4.8
- Listens Carefully 4.9
- Gives Understandable Instructions 4.8
- Knows My Medical History 4.8
- Shows Respect 4.9
- Time Spent Together 4.8
68 Patient CommentsLoad More Comments
Consulting and Related Relationships
At The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, we support a faculty member’s research and consulting in collaboration with medical device, research and/or drug companies because a faculty member’s expertise can guide important advancements in the practice of medicine and improve patient care. In order to provide effective management of these relationships, the University requires annual disclosures from all faculty members with external interests related to their University responsibilities.
As of 12/20/2018, Dr. Starr has reported relationships with the companies or entities listed below. If you have questions about the relationships listed below, please ask the faculty member. If you have questions about how these relationships are monitored by The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, please contact our Compliance Office.
- Boston Scientific