John McConaghy, MD
- Family Medicine
- Physician What's this? A physician, or doctor, is extensively trained to diagnose and treat complex medical problems. Often, physicians focus their practice on certain disease categories, treatment methods or patient types. Physicians can diagnose and treat illness, prescribe medication, offer medical consultation and advice, perform surgery and more.
Appointments: (614) 293-2700
About MeI practice the full spectrum of family medicine including the treatment of children and elderly patients. I place an emphasis on preventative healthcare and chronic disease management. Some of these chronic diseases include conditions such as diabetes, hypertension, asthma and heart failure. I also work as an educator for medical students and family medicine residents.
I strive to provide patient-centered and cost-effective care that is based on the best research evidence available. I believe in individualized healthcare and that a patient’s health can be improved through patient education, partnership and shared decision-making.
I love working at The Ohio State University because we are continually expanding our patient-centered care. The knowledge base and resources here at Ohio State are unmatched by any other institution. In addition, I find it stimulating to have the opportunity to teach students and residents.
In my free time I enjoy relaxing with my family, traveling and enjoying the outdoors.
- Have received Faculty Teacher of the Year Award or a distinguished teaching award nine times in the last 13 years
- Multiple years on U.S. News and World Report’s ‘Best Doctors’ list
- Full-time professor
- Rated in the top 10 percent of physicians in the nation for patient satisfaction, 2014, 2015
- Best Doctor in America, 2017
- Member, National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA)
Procedures and Conditions I Treat
- Heart Failure
- Diabetes Mellitus
- Preventive Medicine
- Primary Care
- Family Practice
Locations Where I Practice
Education and Training
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
David Grant USAF Medical Center
7/1/1990 - 6/30/1992
University of North Carolina School of Medicine
8/1/1997 - 6/30/1998
More About My Work
American Board of Family Medicine
American Board of Family Medicine
248 Patient Satisfaction Reviews
The overall patient satisfaction rating is an average of all patient responses to the six doctor communication related questions shown below from the Clinician and Group Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems survey. For additional information about the patient satisfaction survey, please visit our Patient Satisfaction Survey page.
The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their view and opinions. The comments are not endorsed by and do not necessarily reflect the views of Ohio State Wexner Medical Center.
4.8 out of 5
- Explains Things Clearly 4.8
- Listens Carefully 4.9
- Gives Understandable Instructions 4.7
- Knows My Medical History 4.8
- Shows Respect 4.9
- Time Spent Together 4.8
60 Patient CommentsLoad More Comments
Consulting and Related Relationships
At The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, we support a faculty member’s research and consulting in collaboration with medical device, research and/or drug companies because a faculty member’s expertise can guide important advancements in the practice of medicine and improve patient care. In order to provide effective management of these relationships, the University requires annual disclosures from all faculty members with external interests related to their University responsibilities.
As of 12/20/2018, Dr. McConaghy has reported no relationships with companies or entities.