As a family medicine physician, I provide primary care for a mostly older and multicultural community in the Near East Side of Columbus. I am passionate about the power of diversity and inclusion as a means to advancing excellence and innovation. I treat and manage a wide range of conditions and diseases, but most of my time is spent in administrative leadership roles at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center and The Ohio State University College of Medicine to support our mission of improving the health of those living in Ohio and across the world through innovation in research, education and patient care. The remainder of my time is dedicated to patient care, medical student education and research.
I enjoy working at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center because of the difference in care stemming from our strength as interdisciplinary teams committed to providing inclusive and culturally competent care all the way from the front line staff to the Dean of the College of Medicine and CEO of the health system. I really appreciate the "can do" and collaborative spirit that can be found across the academic health center, campus and central Ohio communities.
In my free time I enjoy watching sports and science fiction on television, reading biographies and walking with my wife, Natasha.
- Rated in the top 10 percent of physicians in the nation for patient satisfaction, 2015, 2016 and 2018
- Best Doctor in America, 2013-2019
- Founding contributor, Urban Family Medicine Residency
- Partnered with Biomedical Science and College of Medicine leadership to obtain NIH funding to start the DISCOVERY Post Baccalaureate Research Education Program (PREP)
- 121st National Medical Association President (August 2020–July 2021)
- Elected to serve 1 year term as National Medical Association President Elect July 31, 2019, followed by 1 year term as the 121st NMA President
- National Chair of the Association of American Medical Colleges Group on Diversity and Inclusion, 2013–2015
- 1st African American to achieve the rank of Professor with tenure in The Ohio State University Department of Family and Community Medicine
- Appointed to serve as The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center’s first chief diversity officer
Procedures and Conditions I Treat
- Diabetes Mellitus
- Urban Health Services
- Vulnerable Populations
- Primary Care
Locations Where I Practice
543 Taylor Ave.
Columbus, OH 43203
543 Taylor Ave.
Columbus, OH 43203
Please note: Not all physicians schedule patients at each listed location. Please call the “Schedule an appointment” number shown above for scheduling assistance.
Education and Training
Ohio State University College of Medicine, Columbus, OH
7/1/1985 - 6/9/1989
Naval Hospital, Oakland, CA
7/1/1989 - 6/1/1990
Naval Hospital Beaufort South Carolina, Portsmouth, VA
7/1/1990 - 6/30/1992
American Board of Family Medicine
The overall patient satisfaction rating is an average of all patient responses to the six doctor communication related questions shown below from the Clinician and Group Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems survey. For additional information about the patient satisfaction survey, please visit our Patient Satisfaction Survey page.
The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their view and opinions. The comments are not endorsed by and do not necessarily reflect the views of Ohio State Wexner Medical Center.
45 Patient Satisfaction Reviews
Consulting and Related Relationships
At The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, we support a faculty member’s research and consulting in collaboration with medical device, research and/or drug companies because a faculty member’s expertise can guide important advancements in the practice of medicine and improve patient care. In order to provide effective management of these relationships, the University requires annual disclosures from all faculty members with external interests related to their University responsibilities.
As of 11/01/2020, Dr. McDougle has reported relationships with the companies or entities listed below. If you have questions about the relationships listed below, please ask the faculty member. If you have questions about how these relationships are monitored by The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, please contact our Compliance Office.
- Association of American Medical Colleges
- National Medical Association
- Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education
- Baylor College of Medicine
- Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
- Federation of State Medical Boards
- National Collegiate Athletic Association
- Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine
- University of Arkansas
- Weill Cornell Medicine