Leon McDougle, MD
- Family Medicine
- Physician What's this? A physician, or doctor, is extensively trained to diagnose and treat complex medical problems. Often, physicians focus their practice on certain disease categories, treatment methods or patient types. Physicians can diagnose and treat illness, prescribe medication, offer medical consultation and advice, perform surgery and more.
Appointments: (614) 688-6490
About MeAs a family medicine physician, I provide primary care for a mostly older and multicultural community in the Near East Side of Columbus. I am passionate about the power of diversity and inclusion as a means to advancing excellence and innovation. I treat and manage a wide range of conditions and diseases, but most of my time is spent in administrative leadership roles at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center and The Ohio State University College of Medicine to support our mission of improving the health of those living in Ohio and across the world through innovation in research, education and patient care. The remainder of my time is dedicated to patient care, medical student education and research.
I enjoy working at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center because of the difference in care stemming from our strength as interdisciplinary teams committed to providing inclusive and culturally competent care all the way from the front line staff to the Dean of the College of Medicine and CEO of the health system. I really appreciate the "can do" and collaborative spirit that can be found across the academic health center, campus and central Ohio communities.
In my free time I enjoy watching sports and science fiction on television, reading biographies and walking with my wife, Natasha.
- Rated in the top 10 percent of physicians in the nation for patient satisfaction, 2015, 2016
- Best Doctor in America, 2017
- Founding contributor, Urban Family Medicine Residency
- Partnered with Biomedical Science and College of Medicine leadership to obtain NIH funding to start the DISCOVERY Post Baccalaureate Research Education Program (PREP)
- National Chair of the Association of American Medical Colleges Group on Diversity and Inclusion, 2013–2015
- Professor of family medicine
- Appointed to serve as The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center’s first chief diversity officer
Procedures and Conditions I Treat
- Diabetes Mellitus
- Urban Health Services
- Vulnerable Populations
- Primary Care
Locations Where I Practice
Education and Training
Ohio State University College of Medicine
7/1/1990 - 6/30/1992
More About My Work
American Board of Family Medicine
106 Patient Satisfaction Reviews
The overall patient satisfaction rating is an average of all patient responses to the six doctor communication related questions shown below from the Clinician and Group Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems survey. For additional information about the patient satisfaction survey, please visit our Patient Satisfaction Survey page.
The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their view and opinions. The comments are not endorsed by and do not necessarily reflect the views of Ohio State Wexner Medical Center.
4.8 out of 5
- Explains Things Clearly 4.8
- Listens Carefully 4.9
- Gives Understandable Instructions 4.8
- Knows My Medical History 4.8
- Shows Respect 4.9
- Time Spent Together 4.8
20 Patient CommentsLoad More Comments
Consulting and Related Relationships
At The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, we support a faculty member’s research and consulting in collaboration with medical device, research and/or drug companies because a faculty member’s expertise can guide important advancements in the practice of medicine and improve patient care. In order to provide effective management of these relationships, the University requires annual disclosures from all faculty members with external interests related to their University responsibilities.
As of 12/20/2018, Dr. McDougle has reported no relationships with companies or entities.