Mark Wewers, MD
- Pulmonary Disease
- Critical Care Medicine
- Physician What's this? A physician, or doctor, is extensively trained to diagnose and treat complex medical problems. Often, physicians focus their practice on certain disease categories, treatment methods or patient types. Physicians can diagnose and treat illness, prescribe medication, offer medical consultation and advice, perform surgery and more.
Appointments: (614) 293-4925
About MeAs a pulmonary care specialist, I have a long interest in diagnosing and treating patients who suffer from lung ailments.
I am passionate about alpha 1-antitrypsin (AAT) deficiency. This rare condition exists in individuals who do not produce enough AAT to protect the lungs from emphysema. I head the area Alpha 1 Research Registry, which supports patients with this condition.
My patient care focus is to help patients understand their disease. Knowledge promotes better adherence to treatments and helps in symptom management.
The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center brings together the best physicians in primary and specialty care. With so many expert colleagues on our team, I always know where to turn for difficult questions.
In my free time I enjoy reading, photography and sports with my grandkids. I also enjoy studying the night sky ... even in cloudy Ohio!
- Rated in the top 10 percent of physicians in the nation for patient satisfaction, 2015
- Headed first commercial alpha 1-antitrypsin (AAT) infusion study, now standard of care
- Research lab funded for over 25 years to study mechanisms to protect the lung
- Training and working with MD and PhD students in my laboratory for three decades
- Best Doctor in America 2017
Procedures and Conditions I Treat
- Sleep Disorders
- Pulmonary Medicine
- Pulmonary Disease, Chronic Obstructive
- Respiratory Insufficiency
- Respiration Disorders
- Pulmonary Emphysema
Locations Where I Practice
Education and Training
Univ. of Arkansas
Univ. of Arkansas
7/1/1977 - 6/30/1979
Univ. of Arkansas
7/1/1979 - 6/30/1981
More About My Work
American Board of Internal Medicine
American Board of Internal Medicine (Subspecialty: Critical Care Medicine)
American Board of Internal Medicine (Subspecialty: Pulmonary Disease)
Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine
61 Patient Satisfaction Reviews
The overall patient satisfaction rating is an average of all patient responses to the six doctor communication related questions shown below from the Clinician and Group Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems survey. For additional information about the patient satisfaction survey, please visit our Patient Satisfaction Survey page.
The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their view and opinions. The comments are not endorsed by and do not necessarily reflect the views of Ohio State Wexner Medical Center.
4.9 out of 5
- Explains Things Clearly 4.9
- Listens Carefully 4.9
- Gives Understandable Instructions 4.9
- Knows My Medical History 4.8
- Shows Respect 4.9
- Time Spent Together 4.9
19 Patient CommentsLoad More Comments
Consulting and Related Relationships
At The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, we support a faculty member’s research and consulting in collaboration with medical device, research and/or drug companies because a faculty member’s expertise can guide important advancements in the practice of medicine and improve patient care. In order to provide effective management of these relationships, the University requires annual disclosures from all faculty members with external interests related to their University responsibilities.
As of 12/20/2018, Dr. Wewers has reported no relationships with companies or entities.