Raymond Pongonis, DO
- Family Medicine
- Osteopathic Physician What's this? A physician, or doctor, is extensively trained to diagnose and treat complex medical problems. Often, physicians focus their practice on certain disease categories, treatment methods or patient types. Physicians can diagnose and treat illness, prescribe medication, offer medical consultation and advice, perform surgery and more.
Appointments: (614) 293-3600
About MeAs a sports medicine physician, I have a special interest in musculoskeletal back injuries. Through osteopathic manipulative therapy, I enhance athletic performance and help people return to play. This unique, functional approach helps athletes of all ages resolve back pain, stay healthy and participate in their sporting activities.
I am a team physician for the Ohio State football team and provide manipulative therapy to athletes in all sports. My work ranges from high school to professional sports, including the Cleveland Indians and serving as an affiliate team physician of the Columbus Clippers. I am also the certified medical review officer for Ohio State Athletic Department drug testing.
It's important to me to take a comprehensive, compassionate and holistic approach in diagnosing and treating injured athletes.
Working at Ohio State allows me to be a part of one of the nation's leading academic medical centers, where we combine state-of-the-art technologies, education, research and clinical care. Our outstanding team of healthcare professionals and our multidisciplinary approach make Ohio State's Sports Medicine Program excel at the national level.
In my free time, I like to watch movies, spend time outdoors and attend Ohio State football games. I also enjoy traveling and relaxing with my family.
- Rated in the top 10 percent of physicians in the nation for patient satisfaction, 2014
- Ohio State Department of Athletics Team Physician
- Gregory I. Brooks Memorial Sports Medicine Award, Columbus Medical Association
- Member, American Medical Society for Sports Medicine, American Osteopathic Association and American Academy of Family Practice
Procedures and Conditions I Treat
- Athletic Injuries
- Sports Medicine
- Back Injuries
- Manipulation, Osteopathic
- Musculoskeletal Manipulations
- Sprains and Strains
- Shoulder Pain
- Knee Injuries
- Ankle Injuries
- Arm Injuries
- Foot Injuries
- Leg Injuries
- Soft Tissue Injuries
- Asthma, Exercise-Induced
- Hip Injuries
- Athletic Performance
Locations Where I Practice
Jameson Crane Sports Medicine Institute
Education and Training
Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine
More About My Work
326 Patient Satisfaction Reviews
The overall patient satisfaction rating is an average of all patient responses to the six doctor communication related questions shown below from the Clinician and Group Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems survey. For additional information about the patient satisfaction survey, please visit our Patient Satisfaction Survey page.
The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their view and opinions. The comments are not endorsed by and do not necessarily reflect the views of Ohio State Wexner Medical Center.
4.8 out of 5
- Explains Things Clearly 4.8
- Listens Carefully 4.9
- Gives Understandable Instructions 4.8
- Knows My Medical History 4.5
- Shows Respect 4.9
- Time Spent Together 4.7
69 Patient CommentsLoad More Comments
Consulting and Related Relationships
At The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, we support a faculty member’s research and consulting in collaboration with medical device, research and/or drug companies because a faculty member’s expertise can guide important advancements in the practice of medicine and improve patient care. In order to provide effective management of these relationships, the University requires annual disclosures from all faculty members with external interests related to their University responsibilities.
As of 12/20/2018, Dr. Pongonis has reported no relationships with companies or entities.
(Sports Medicine Only)