Shelly Jain, MD
- Ophthalmology – Glaucoma
- Physician What's this? A physician, or doctor, is extensively trained to diagnose and treat complex medical problems. Often, physicians focus their practice on certain disease categories, treatment methods or patient types. Physicians can diagnose and treat illness, prescribe medication, offer medical consultation and advice, perform surgery and more.
Appointments: (614) 293-8116
About MeI'm an ophthalmologist specializing in glaucoma. I chose this specialty because I love the one-on-one relationships physicians have with their patients. I enjoy getting to know people and improving their quality of life.
I chose to work at Ohio State for many reasons. As an Ohio native, I take pride in our state and its people. When I was a medical student, a family member came to Ohio State and received excellent care. I was impressed with the physician’s ability and compassion. I wanted to be a part of that.
I've always appreciated how procedures like refraction and cataract surgery improve vision. But I was drawn to multifaceted ocular diseases, such as glaucoma. I enjoy the long-term relationships with patients and families as I work with them throughout their treatment.
Preventing vision loss is rewarding. I screen patients to see if they have early signs of glaucoma or other diseases. Early detection helps prevent vision loss.
My patients receive the best possible care. My goal is to give them a thorough eye exam, explain what’s going on, address any fears and answer all of their questions.
- Named to the Castle Connolly list of “Regional Top Doctors,” 2018
- Developing new targeted glaucoma therapies
- Co-authored book chapters on glaucoma
- Research interests include glaucoma, ocular hypertension and imaging
- Best Doctor in America, 2017
Procedures and Conditions I Treat
- Eyelid Diseases
- Diabetic Retinopathy
- Optic Nerve Diseases
- Eye Injuries
- Hypertensive Retinopathy
- Optic Nerve Injuries
- Conjunctivitis, Viral
- Eye Pain
- Optic Atrophy
- Optic Neuropathy, Ischemic
- Exfoliation Syndrome
- Optic Atrophies, Hereditary
- Optic Atrophy, Autosomal Dominant
- Optic Atrophy, Hereditary, Leber
- Eye Hemorrhage
- Conjunctivitis, Bacterial
- Optic Disk Drusen
- Keratoconjunctivitis, Infectious
- Iridocorneal Endothelial Syndrome
- Wolfram Syndrome
- Glaucoma, Angle-Closure
- Glaucoma, Neovascular
- Glaucoma, Open-Angle
- Low Tension Glaucoma
- Ocular Hypertension
- Ocular Hypotension
Locations Where I Practice
Education and Training
Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine
Callahan Eye Foundation Hospital
7/1/2007 - 6/30/2010
Wills Eye Hospital
7/1/2010 - 6/30/2011
More About My Work
American Board of Ophthalmology
445 Patient Satisfaction Reviews
The overall patient satisfaction rating is an average of all patient responses to the six doctor communication related questions shown below from the Clinician and Group Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems survey. For additional information about the patient satisfaction survey, please visit our Patient Satisfaction Survey page.
The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their view and opinions. The comments are not endorsed by and do not necessarily reflect the views of Ohio State Wexner Medical Center.
4.8 out of 5
- Explains Things Clearly 4.8
- Listens Carefully 4.9
- Gives Understandable Instructions 4.9
- Knows My Medical History 4.6
- Shows Respect 4.9
- Time Spent Together 4.7
78 Patient CommentsLoad More Comments
Consulting and Related Relationships
At The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, we support a faculty member’s research and consulting in collaboration with medical device, research and/or drug companies because a faculty member’s expertise can guide important advancements in the practice of medicine and improve patient care. In order to provide effective management of these relationships, the University requires annual disclosures from all faculty members with external interests related to their University responsibilities.
As of 12/20/2018, Dr. Jain has reported no relationships with companies or entities.