NOTE: Due to COVID-19, some in-person chaplaincy services are not available. Please refer to our visitor policy for current policies and procedures.
Visit with a chaplain
If you would like a visit from a chaplain, prayer, a Bible or other sacred text from a specific faith tradition, communion or other religious, spiritual or pastoral support, please contact us:
- Department of Chaplaincy Wexner Medical Center, 614-293-8791 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Department of Chaplaincy East Hospital, 614-257-3255 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- At any time, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, you may request a chaplain by asking your nurse or by calling the hospital operator at 614-293-8000.
You are welcome to submit a prayer request to our Chaplaincy Department at firstname.lastname@example.org. This confidential email box is checked daily and requests are prayed for privately by a chaplain.
Roles of a chaplain
Chaplains serve as members of The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center team, providing supportive spiritual care. Our professional chaplains are theologically and clinically trained. We participate in pastoral research, education and patient care.
Our work reflects:
- sensitivity to the multicultural and multifaith realities and backgrounds of our patients and staff
- respect for patients’ spiritual or religious preferences
- understanding of the impact of illness on individuals and their caregivers
- accountability as part of the professional patient care team
Chaplains provide support:
- in emergencies or stressful situations
- for visits for patients before and/or after surgery
- for ongoing support for patients and their family members
- to offer prayer to patients, family members or staff when appropriate
- to call upon patients’ personal pastors or spiritual leaders, upon request
- to make sacred rites and sacraments available (blessing, communion, baptism, anointing, sacrament of the sick)
- as a resource for hospital staff as they care for patients and their families
- when death occurs, for support to family members and staff
- for consultation regarding ethical issues