With the continued concerns regarding COVID-19, our utmost responsibility as a healthcare system is to keep our patients, employees, volunteers and visitors safe. As a proactive step to limit the spread of COVID-19 in our community, we have suspended traditional volunteer programs at all Wexner Medical Center hospitals. The goal of this temporary suspension is to help people remain away from others and slow the virus’ spread.
While we are engaging some of our existing volunteers in a very limited capacity for off-site, COVID-related support projects, we have suspended the acceptance and processing of new volunteer applications.
We appreciate everything volunteers do for our patients, guests and staff. We look forward to welcoming volunteers back and will update this page when the volunteer restrictions are lifted.
Volunteers play such an important part in our mission, so we thank you for your understanding during this challenging time. Stay safe and well! We invite you to visit this page to learn more about COVID-19 and access resources related to the virus.
The information below is intended for undergraduate students currently enrolled at any college or university, who are at least 18 years old, and interested in volunteering at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.
Not a current undergraduate student? View our general volunteering information and select a different category.
What makes you a good fit for our program
We are seeking student volunteers who are:
- Reliable – our staff, patients and visitors count on your support!
- Driven – many of our roles function fairly independently. Volunteers who get the most out of their experience are the ones who take initiative.
- Extroverted – regardless of where you are placed, a large portion of your role will involve interacting with our patients and visitors, so you should feel comfortable striking up conversations with strangers.
- Compassionate – whether you are interacting with a patient or visitor, they are likely feeling stressed or overwhelmed. The empathy and compassion you provide during even a brief interaction can go a long way.
- Service-oriented – with each task or interaction, you have the ability to positively impact someone’s experience here at the Medical Center.
Do you fit everything above, but haven’t turned 18 yet? Medical Center regulations require all volunteers must be at least 18 years old (by the date you submit your application). We hope you will apply for a future session.
When and how you can apply
Given the current precautions in place for the medical center, university, and our community at large related to COVID-19, we are not currently on-boarding new college volunteers. We know you are especially eager to give back to your community during this challenging time. Please continue to check this website for updated information about volunteering opportunities. We look forward to having you volunteer with our program in the future.
If you have any questions, please contact:
What you can expect of the college volunteer experience
Who you will be interacting with as you volunteer
What you might be doing as part of your role
Where you may be volunteering
When you will be volunteering
How the process works