Assistant Professor – Clinical, Department of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery and Department of Neurological Surgery
College of Medicine
Department of Neurological Surgery
Department of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery
Eye and Ear Institute
915 Olentangy River Road
Columbus, OH 43212
Research interests: Predictors of clinical outcomes for rhinosinusitis, pathogenesis of nasal polyps
Current Research: Dr. Otto has patents pending for new devices to treat sinusitis and rhinitis. As a member of the Comprehensive Skull Base Surgery Center, Dr. Otto is also interested in the development of new techniques and devices to treat complex skull base disorders.
MD, Wright State University School of Medicine
Internship: Department of Surgery, Mount Carmel Medical Center
Residency: Department of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery, The Ohio State University College of Medicine Rhinology
Fellowship: University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Division of Sinonasal Disorders and Allergy, Department of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery
- The AAO – HNS Foundation Humanitarian Efforts Travel Grant. The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, 2005-present
- Champion, Ohio State Temporal Bone Dissection Competition. The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, 2007-present
- The Ohio State University Housestaff Citizenship Award. The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, 2007
- American Rhinologic Society New Investigator Award. The Centralized Otolaryngology Research Efforts Grants, 2008-2009
- Outstanding Achievement in Patient Service Award. The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, 2011-present
- Department of Otolaryngology - Head & Neck Surgery Resident Teaching Award. The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, 2014-present
- Exceptional Physician Peer Award. The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, 2015-present
- Elected into the Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA) Medical Honor Society as a third year student. Served as president of the AOA, Ohio Epsilon Chapter, in fourth year of medical school
- During University of Pittsburgh Medical Center fellowship, received award funded by the American Rhinologic Society for research related to nasal polyps
- Inventions and Patents: "Neuromodulatory Method for Treating Chronic Rhinosinusitis." Filed April 2012; Otto, BA, Rezai AR
- "Neuromodulatory Method for Treating Chronic or Refractory Rhinitis." Filed April 2012; Otto, BA, Rezai, AR
- Patient Quality and Safety Committee, The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center
- Soldatova L, Campbell RG, Elkhatib AH, Schmidt TW, Pinto NR, Pinto JM, Prevedello DM, Ditzel Filho LF, Otto BA, Carrau RL. Role of Leukocyte-Platelet-Rich Fibrin in Endoscopic Endonasal Skull Base Surgery Defect Reconstruction. J Neurol Surg B Skull Base. 2017 Feb;78(1):59-62.
- Villelli NW, Prevedello DM, Ikeda DS, Montaser AS, Otto BA, Carrau RL. Posterior Reversible Encephalopathy Syndrome Causing Vision Loss After Endoscopic Endonasal Resection of Pituitary Adenoma. World Neurosurg. 2017 Apr;100:708.e1-708
- Li C, Farag AA, Leach J, Deshpande B, Jacobowitz A, Kim K, Otto BA, Zhao K. Computational fluid dynamics and trigeminal sensory examinations of empty nose syndrome patients. Laryngoscope. 2017 Jun;127(6):E176-E18
- Upadhyay S, Buohliqah L, Dolci RL, Otto BA, Prevedello DM, Carrau RL. Periodic olfactory assessment in patients undergoing skull base surgery with preservation of the olfactory strip. Laryngoscope. 2017 Mar 27.
- Otto BA, Li C, Farag AA, Bush B, Krebs JP, Hutcheson RD, Kim K, Deshpande B,Zhao K. Computational fluid dynamics evaluation of posterior septectomy as a viable treatment option for large septal perforations. Int Forum Allergy Rhinol. 2017 May 23.
- Mesquita PM, Prevedello DM, Prevedello L, Ditzel Filho LF, Fiore ME, Dolci RL, Buohliqah L, Otto BA, Carrau R. Optic Canal Decompression: A Comparison Of Two Surgical Techniques. World Neurosurg. 2017 May 17. pii: S1878-8750(17)30681-2.