This volunteer role provides current and previous patients or primary caregivers a voice in improvement efforts throughout the medical center.
There are many ways patients and family members can be involved as an advisor. Some examples are:
- Patient and Family Advisory Councils - these groups meet on a regular basis with administrators to provide feedback on topics affecting the patient and family experience. Current councils include Oncology, Labor and Delivery, East Hospital, Family Medicine and General Internal Medicine. We are recruiting for additional councils that are now forming.
- Standing committee member – you can serve as an active member on a hospital committee, working with staff side-by-side to design and implement organizational changes
- Patients as educators – attend a training session on how to share your personal patient/family member experience, then join fellow Advisors as a panel participant or guest speaker
- Survey/material reviewer – complete short surveys related to patient education or marketing
- Short-term groups – participate in focus groups or short-term work groups designed around one specific topic
The amount of time required for this volunteer role varies depending on personal experiences, availability and areas of interest.Screening Process
- Reference checks
- Background check/fingerprinting
- Volunteer Orientation
- Position specific training