The Ohio State East Hospital blends academic medicine with a community-based setting in a comprehensive outpatient facility (543 Taylor Ave.) and 190-bed hospital (181 Taylor Ave.) on Columbus’ east side.
Home to a Level III Trauma Center, East Hospital provides a full range of medical and surgical services to patients throughout central Ohio, including orthopedics, general surgery, vascular surgery, plastic surgery, ENT, cardiovascular and pulmonary care, urology, family medicine, general internal medicine and emergency medicine. Additionally, patients at East Hospital have access to central Ohio’s leading alcohol and drug addiction recovery services, a comprehensive wound-healing center with limb preservation program, digestive disease treatment, a full-range of diagnostic services, a sleep disorders center, and outpatient oncology services.
Surgical patients benefit from the latest advances in robotic technology for hip and knee replacement, hernia repair and other general surgical procedures.
East Hospital has earned “2017 Distinguished Hospital Award for Clinical Excellence” from HealthGrades, a Leapfrog “A” grade for patient safety, and Primary Stroke Center certification from the Joint Commission. Ohio State’s East Hospital Emergency Department is the first ED in central Ohio to receive the Emergency Nurses Association Lantern Award. This award recognizes exceptional patient care and innovative performance in leadership, practice, education, advocacy and research.
Services at this location
Directions and maps
Download maps and guides
- Monday: Open 24 Hours
- Tuesday: Open 24 Hours
- Wednesday: Open 24 Hours
- Thursday: Open 24 Hours
- Friday: Open 24 Hours
- Saturday: Open 24 Hours
- Sunday: Open 24 Hours
Visitation is generally 6 a.m. to 8 p.m., seven days a week in most hospital units.
All parking at East Hospital is free. Long-term public parking is available directly across Hawthorne Avenue in the surface lots.
For Emergency Department patients, short-term parking is available just outside the Emergency Department entrance doors.
The entrance to our Emergency Department is on the south end of the hospital, on the Hawthorne Avenue side. The Comprehensive Wound Center is on the west side of the building, near the Emergency Department. Parking is on the west side.
Patients and visitors
More for our patients and visitors
- ATMs near Bistro O-H!
Visitor food services
- Bistro O-H! Ground level of the Tower building. Weekdays 6:45 a.m.-6:30 p.m. and weekends/holidays 7 a.m.-6 p.m. Nearby vending area with microwave and café seating always available.
- Skyward Concessions and food trucks and carts: Outside main entrance. Mobile cart with hot sandwiches, including gyros and bratwurst, chips, snacks and beverages. Weekdays 11 a.m.-3 p.m. weather permitting.
- Nearby restaurants: Ask at information desks in our hospital lobbies for directions to nearby restaurants.
- Scarlet Ribbon Gift Shop: Snacks, soft drinks.
- Vending machines: Available 24 hours a day. Snacks, beverages, some entrees. Change machines provided in some areas.
Gift shops (closed holidays)
- Scarlet Ribbon Gift Shop: Offers Buckeye items, personal items, some clothing, cards, flowers, magazines, snacks, drinks. Credit cards and cash accepted. Room deliveries available. East Hospital is located near the lobby at the end of the long glass hallway. Monday-Friday 8 a.m.- 4 p.m. 614-257-2032.
Sending something to a patient
Fresh flowers, plants, and food are not allowed in the intensive care unit, as these items can be a source of infection. Cards, balloons and silk flowers are encouraged and can be displayed for the patient to see.