To visit an emergency patient, you must have the permission of the physician and nurse caring for the patient. Children age 12 or younger must have permission of the charge nurse.
East Hospital's Emergency Department offers the most advanced levels of emergency care from experts who've devoted their professional and academic careers to emergency medicine. The East Hospital Emergency Department has:
- A Level III Trauma Center
- A STEMI Alert system that mobilizes a specialized team of emergency medicine and cardiology physicians to treat the most serious form of heart attack
- Access to specialists trained in comprehensive stroke care, 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- Specially trained Sexual Assault Nurse Examiners available 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- Been honored for our quality of care and outcomes with a Healthgrades Emergency Medicine Excellence Award™ for the third consecutive year.
Learn more about Ohio State's emergency medicine services.
Directions and maps
Download maps and guides
- Monday: Open 24 Hours
- Tuesday: Open 24 Hours
- Wednesday: Open 24 Hours
- Thursday: Open 24 Hours
- Friday: Open 24 Hours
- Saturday: Open 24 Hours
- Sunday: Open 24 Hours
Visitation is generally 6 a.m. to 8 p.m., seven days a week in most hospital units.
All parking at East Hospital is free. Long-term public parking is available directly across Hawthorne Avenue in the surface lots.
For Emergency Department patients, short-term parking is available just outside the Emergency Department entrance doors.
The entrance to our Emergency Department is on the south end of the hospital, on the Hawthorne Avenue side
Patients and visitors
More for our patients and visitors
- ATMs near Bistro O-H!
Visitor food services
- Bistro O-H! Ground level of the Tower building. Weekdays 6:45 a.m.-6:30 p.m. and weekends/holidays 7 a.m.-6 p.m. Nearby vending area with microwave and café seating always available.
- Skyward Concessions and food trucks and carts: Outside main entrance. Mobile cart with hot sandwiches, including gyros and bratwurst, chips, snacks and beverages. Weekdays 11 a.m.-3 p.m. weather permitting.
- Nearby restaurants: Ask at information desks in our hospital lobbies for directions to nearby restaurants.
- Scarlet Ribbon Gift Shop: Snacks, soft drinks.
- Vending machines: Available 24 hours a day. Snacks, beverages, some entrees. Change machines provided in some areas.
Gift shops (closed holidays)
- Scarlet Ribbon Gift Shop: Offers Buckeye items, personal items, some clothing, cards, flowers, magazines, snacks, drinks. Credit cards and cash accepted. Room deliveries available. East Hospital is located near the lobby at the end of the long glass hallway. Monday-Friday 9 a.m.-5 p.m. 614-257-2032.
Sending something to a patient
Fresh flowers, plants, and food are not allowed in the intensive care unit, as these items can be a source of infection. Cards, balloons and silk flowers are encouraged and can be displayed for the patient to see.