Andrew Thomas, MD
- Internal Medicine
- Physician What's this? A physician, or doctor, is extensively trained to diagnose and treat complex medical problems. Often, physicians focus their practice on certain disease categories, treatment methods or patient types. Physicians can diagnose and treat illness, prescribe medication, offer medical consultation and advice, perform surgery and more.
About MeWhen I was younger, I spent a great deal of time with my grandparents and saw how much they respected their own physician—that inspired me. Add in my interest in science and a few medical shows from the 1970s, like M.A.S.H. and Emergency, and I was sold on becoming a doctor. After getting my bachelor’s degree in history and science from Harvard in 1991, I came to medical school at Ohio State. I’ve spent some of the best years of my adult life at Ohio State and in Columbus, with my wife, Lisa Wilkins Doran, and our three kids.
As Chief Medical Officer (CMO) for The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, my role includes oversight of inpatient, outpatient and Emergency Department services at our five hospitals, outpatient clinics and specialized care facilities. Some of my key responsibilities include facilitating care between our specialties and coordinating collaboration between departments; guiding organizational strategy and representing physicians around the business table; enforcing rules when necessary and—perhaps my favorite part of the job—mentoring students, residents and younger physicians.
In addition, even after moving into an administrative role, I’ve always maintained my connection to patient care and still see patients a couple times a week. It is a crucial part of not only my own personal job satisfaction, but my role as CMO. It’s what keeps me focused on helping everyone at Ohio State deliver the best possible care and allows me to see the impact of organizational decisions.
- Rated in the top 10 percent of physicians in the nation for patient satisfaction, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
- Member of the Chief Medical Officers Group Steering Committee for the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC)
- Fellow of the American College of Physicians (ACP)
- Member of the Clinical Learning Environment Review Committee of the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME)
- Member of the Council of the Ohio State Medical Association, 2013-current
Locations Where I Practice
Education and Training
Ohio State University College of Medicine
Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center
7/1/1996 - 6/30/1998
More About My Work
American Board of Internal Medicine
General Internal Medicine and Geriatrics
News About Me
- Versiti Selected to Supply All Blood Products to Ohio State Wexner Medical Center
- Media Statement: USA Today Story
- Ohio State's Electronic Medical Records Now Link With State Prescription Reporting System
- 'Faces Of Resilience' Dinner To Benefit Ohio State Wexner Medical Center's STAR Program
- Ohio State Names New Chief Medical Officer
- Ohio State's STAR Program Honors Two Physicians
109 Patient Satisfaction Reviews
The overall patient satisfaction rating is an average of all patient responses to the six doctor communication related questions shown below from the Clinician and Group Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems survey. For additional information about the patient satisfaction survey, please visit our Patient Satisfaction Survey page.
The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their view and opinions. The comments are not endorsed by and do not necessarily reflect the views of Ohio State Wexner Medical Center.
4.9 out of 5
- Explains Things Clearly 5
- Listens Carefully 5
- Gives Understandable Instructions 4.9
- Knows My Medical History 4.9
- Shows Respect 5
- Time Spent Together 5
24 Patient CommentsLoad More Comments
Consulting and Related Relationships
At The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, we support a faculty member’s research and consulting in collaboration with medical device, research and/or drug companies because a faculty member’s expertise can guide important advancements in the practice of medicine and improve patient care. In order to provide effective management of these relationships, the University requires annual disclosures from all faculty members with external interests related to their University responsibilities.
As of 12/20/2018, Dr. Thomas has reported relationships with the companies or entities listed below. If you have questions about the relationships listed below, please ask the faculty member. If you have questions about how these relationships are monitored by The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, please contact our Compliance Office.
- Facilities Management eXpress, LLC