David Flanigan, MD
- Orthopaedic Surgery & Sports Medicine
- Physician What's this? A physician, or doctor, is extensively trained to diagnose and treat complex medical problems. Often, physicians focus their practice on certain disease categories, treatment methods or patient types. Physicians can diagnose and treat illness, prescribe medication, offer medical consultation and advice, perform surgery and more.
Appointments: (614) 293-3600
About MeI am an orthopaedic surgeon, fellowship-trained and certified in sports medicine. I specialize in sports-related injuries. More specifically, my practice is primarily focused on the lower extremity injuries and knee injuries (anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injuries, reconstructions and revisions, meniscal injuries, repair and transplantation, multi-ligament injuries, cartilage injuries and restorative procedures, patella instability corrective surgeries, and ligament and tendon tears).
Dealing with knee and sports-related injuries can range from simple to complex. I believe in involving patients with their care, exploring all options to improve their health and returning them to the best condition possible.
I love my job because The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center has allowed me to blend my passion for clinical care, research and education all together. Because of this, I believe patients are receiving the best, most up-to-date care in the United States.
- Director of Cartilage Restoration Program
- Ohio State Department of Athletics Team Physician
- Richard O'Connor Award recipient
- Best Doctor in America 2017
Procedures and Conditions I Treat
- Sports Medicine
- Foot Injuries
- Athletic Injuries
- Leg Injuries
- Posterior Cruciate Ligament
- Anterior Cruciate Ligament
- Patellar Dislocation
- Knee Dislocation
- Menisci, Tibial
- Knee Injuries
Locations Where I Practice
Education and Training
University of Iowa College of Medicine
6/27/1999 - 6/20/2003
University of Wisconsin School of Medicine
8/1/2003 - 7/30/2004
More About My Work
American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery (Subspecialty: Orthopaedic Sports Medicine)
News About Me
- MedTips: Awards and Announcements
- OSU Wexner Medical Center First in U.S. to Implant Device for Knee Osteoarthritis
- OSU Wexner Medical Center Study Finds BMI Does Not Impact Knee Repair
- Ohio State Surgeons Implant Knee Cartilage Grown From Patient's Own Cells
- February MedTips: Awards and Announcements
239 Patient Satisfaction Reviews
The overall patient satisfaction rating is an average of all patient responses to the six doctor communication related questions shown below from the Clinician and Group Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems survey. For additional information about the patient satisfaction survey, please visit our Patient Satisfaction Survey page.
The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their view and opinions. The comments are not endorsed by and do not necessarily reflect the views of Ohio State Wexner Medical Center.
4.7 out of 5
- Explains Things Clearly 4.7
- Listens Carefully 4.8
- Gives Understandable Instructions 4.8
- Knows My Medical History 4.5
- Shows Respect 4.8
- Time Spent Together 4.5
51 Patient CommentsLoad More Comments
Consulting and Related Relationships
At The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, we support a faculty member’s research and consulting in collaboration with medical device, research and/or drug companies because a faculty member’s expertise can guide important advancements in the practice of medicine and improve patient care. In order to provide effective management of these relationships, the University requires annual disclosures from all faculty members with external interests related to their University responsibilities.
As of 12/20/2018, Dr. Flanigan has reported relationships with the companies or entities listed below. If you have questions about the relationships listed below, please ask the faculty member. If you have questions about how these relationships are monitored by The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, please contact our Compliance Office.
- Depuy Mitek, Inc.
- Smith & Nephew
- Ceterix Orthopaedics
- Histogenics Corporation
- Moximed, Inc.
- Zimmer Biomet