John Hummel, MD
- Clinical Cardiac Electrophysiology
- Physician What's this? A physician, or doctor, is extensively trained to diagnose and treat complex medical problems. Often, physicians focus their practice on certain disease categories, treatment methods or patient types. Physicians can diagnose and treat illness, prescribe medication, offer medical consultation and advice, perform surgery and more.
Appointments: (614) 293-7677
About MeAs an electrophysiologist at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, I specialize in the treatment of cardiac arrhythmias. My primary areas of interest include atrial fibrillation and left atrial appendage closure. I am passionate about providing treatments that can have a major impact on patient survival, well-being and quality of life. I try to understand my patients’ overarching goals and tailor treatments that are specific to their needs.
My favorite part about working at Ohio State is the unique collaboration that we have among multiple disciplines. Working at an academic medical center allows clinical care to merge with basic science and research, which ultimately benefits our patients.
When I’m not working I enjoy spending my free time traveling and sailing.
- Rated in the top 10 percent of physicians in the nation for patient satisfaction, 2014, 2015
- Named to the Castle Connolly list of “Regional Top Doctors,” 2015–2018
- Best Doctor in America, 2017
Procedures and Conditions I Treat
- Cardiovascular Diseases
- Internal Medicine
- Cardiac Electrophysiology
- Arrhythmias, Cardiac
- Catheter Ablation
- Pacemaker, Artificial
- Defibrillators, Implantable
- Device Removal
- Atrial Fibrillation
- Cardiac Resynchronization Therapy Devices
- Electric Countershock
- Syncope, Vasovagal
- Coronary Care Units
Locations Where I Practice
Education and Training
University of Virginia Health System
Johns Hopkins Medical Center
7/1/1988 - 6/1/1989
University of Michigan Medical School
7/1/1992 - 1/31/1993
Johns Hopkins Medical Center
7/1/1989 - 6/1/1993
More About My Work
American Board of Internal Medicine
American Board of Internal Medicine (Subspecialty: Cardiovascular)
American Board of Internal Medicine (Subspecialty: Clinical Cardiac Electrophysiology)
News About Me
206 Patient Satisfaction Reviews
The overall patient satisfaction rating is an average of all patient responses to the six doctor communication related questions shown below from the Clinician and Group Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems survey. For additional information about the patient satisfaction survey, please visit our Patient Satisfaction Survey page.
The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their view and opinions. The comments are not endorsed by and do not necessarily reflect the views of Ohio State Wexner Medical Center.
4.8 out of 5
- Explains Things Clearly 4.7
- Listens Carefully 4.8
- Gives Understandable Instructions 4.7
- Knows My Medical History 4.6
- Shows Respect 4.9
- Time Spent Together 4.8
42 Patient CommentsLoad More Comments
Consulting and Related Relationships
At The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, we support a faculty member’s research and consulting in collaboration with medical device, research and/or drug companies because a faculty member’s expertise can guide important advancements in the practice of medicine and improve patient care. In order to provide effective management of these relationships, the University requires annual disclosures from all faculty members with external interests related to their University responsibilities.
As of 12/20/2018, Dr. Hummel has reported no relationships with companies or entities.