At Ohio State’s Hand and Upper Extremity Center, our experienced occupational therapists specialize in treating hand, wrist, elbow and shoulder conditions. We work collaboratively with trained and certified hand surgeons from the start of care through its conclusion to help get you back to your daily activities after an injury or surgery.
In addition to receiving care in a comfortable, nurturing and inviting environment, each of our team members has advanced credentials as a certified hand therapist. This means we have the most comprehensive knowledge of the anatomy of the hands, wrists, elbows and shoulders, their functions and therapeutic ways to enhance their performance. Our goal is to return you to your highest level of function based on your end goals.
Do I need to see a hand therapist?
Hand therapy can help restore your movement and mobility. Through evaluation and treatment, we provide post-operative care, preventive care and non-operative/conservative care. At Ohio State, you will have one-on-one consultation with a hand therapist who will develop a treatment plan based on your unique needs. You may also be provided with additional education, a home exercise program or suggestions to modify your environment to ensure you are restored to your best self and that the potential for future injury is minimized.
What does hand therapy provide?
- Successful surgery depends on successful therapy, including:
- Custom splinting
- Range of motion
- Scar management
- Edema management
- Joint protection and pain management
- Modalities (heat, cold, paraffin, ultrasound, electrical stimulation, iontophoresis)
- Kinesio taping
- Graston Technique® therapy
Why choose Ohio State for hand therapy?
- There are only 6,235 certified hand therapists in the country and we have six of them.
- Our hand therapists have had advanced training, study and continuing education with certification by the national Hand Therapy Certification Commission.
- We have extensive experience with common and complex injuries and procedures.
Ohio State Hand Occupational Therapists
|Jennifer Baker, OTR/L, CHT
Kimberly Couch, MPH, OTR/L, CHT
|Philip Cox, MS, OTR/L, CHT
||LeAnn Gaerke, OTR/L, CHT
Mary Ellen Hoffman, OTR/L, CHT
Sue Pollock, OTR/L, CHT