As a psychiatrist and addiction medicine physician, I specialize in providing treatment to those suffering from addictive disorders, particularly those in need of inpatient stabilization or withdrawal management (detox). I work to be an advocate for patients, who often have had a negative experience with healthcare providers, by delivering high-quality care that is compassionate and patient-centered. I only use evidence-based addiction treatment.
At The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, I enjoy being part of a multidisciplinary team and working with those in other departments on creative solutions to the problems we face. I also enjoy working with medical students, residents and fellows and dedicate a significant portion of my time to education.
In my free time, I enjoy traveling, watching TV, and spending time with family, friends and pets.
- Only psychiatrist on Gov. Mike DeWine’s RecoveryOhio Advisory Council
- Created the first Addiction Medicine Fellowship in central Ohio and serve as the fellowship director
- Received multiple teaching awards from residents, including for academic years 2015, 2018 and 2019
- Serve as medical director of Talbot Hall, which is Ohio States drug and alcohol treatment center
- Promoted to associate professor in 2019
- Named to Castle Connolly's Regional Top Doctors list
Procedures and Conditions I Treat
- Alcohol-Related Disorders
- Behavior, Addictive
- Opioid-Related Disorders
- Diagnosis, Dual (Psychiatry)
Education and Training
Ohio State University College of Medicine, Columbus, OH
8/1/2004 - 6/8/2008
Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, Columbus, OH
6/23/2008 - 6/30/2012
American Board of Psychiatry & Neurology-Psychiatry
American Board of Preventive Medicine/Addiction Medicine
Consulting and Related Relationships
At The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, we support a faculty member’s research and consulting in collaboration with medical device, research and/or drug companies because a faculty member’s expertise can guide important advancements in the practice of medicine and improve patient care. In order to provide effective management of these relationships, the University requires annual disclosures from all faculty members with external interests related to their University responsibilities.
As of 09/29/2023, Dr. Teater has reported no relationships with companies or entities.