What is a butt lift?
A butt lift — sometimes called a gluteal lift — is cosmetic surgery to enhance the shape of your buttocks and improve the proportions of your figure. It can give you a new look, tighten sagging skin and restore curves that have lost their youthful form.
There are varied approaches to butt lift surgery. Some are actually two procedures in one. The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center in Columbus is home to a team of experienced, board certified plastic surgeons. They have advanced expertise in all types of cosmetic and plastic surgery procedures, including specialized fat transfer and implant options.
If you’re considering butt lift surgery, your plastic surgeon will help you decide what type and kind of procedure may be right for you. At Ohio State, plastic surgeons offer options that can involve one or more procedures:
The plastic surgeon removes excess sagging skin and then tightens and reshapes skin and fatty tissues to lift the buttocks. This creates a more shapely and appealing form if your buttocks have excess skin that’s loose and has lost its tone. Your skin should still have some elasticity to have effective butt lift surgery.
Butt augmentation (Brazilian butt lift or BBL)
For added fullness and projection, surgeons combine a butt lift with procedures that add volume to the buttocks area. Doctors may use liposuction (fat transfer or fat grafting), implants or a combination.
- Liposuction – The surgeon removes and transfers unwanted fat from areas such as the belly, back or thighs to the buttocks area
- Implants – The surgeon places silicone-filled implants deep within buttock tissues.
Why is butt lift surgery done?
Your figure can lose natural curves as you age. Weight changes, gravity and family traits can also contribute to a look you don’t like. Skin may loosen, and fatty tissues can separate and sag. A butt lift helps counter some of the unwanted effects of nature and time. Butt lift surgery can restore a more desirable balance, shape and proportion to your figure.
Certain procedures, such as butt augmentation or Brazilian butt lift, add projection and volume. They can help you achieve a full, rounded and shapely figure.
How to prepare for butt lift surgery
During pre-surgery consultations, your doctor will answer all your questions. You’ll receive individualized guidance about decisions, preparation, procedure steps and recovery. Preparing for a butt lift procedure may include the following steps as directed by your doctor:
- Comprehensive health evaluation
- Lab samples and testing
- Assessment of treatment areas, including skin condition and health
- Instructions about what medications to take or avoid
- Other instructions, including pre-operative eating and drinking guidelines
What to expect
Your plastic surgeon will schedule your butt lift surgery at one of Ohio State’s hospitals or surgery centers in Columbus or surrounding areas. Before surgery, you’ll have a chance to ask your doctor and care team if you have further questions. Notify your doctor’s office at any time if there are any changes in your condition or other concerns you may have.
Steps for butt lift surgery vary with each procedure and condition. Generally:
- You’ll receive anesthetic by intravenous (IV) line or delivery through a facial mask so you’re unaware and don’t feel anything during your treatment.
- During a butt lift, the surgeon makes incisions in specific areas as discussed during pre-operative appointments. Your surgeon will choose locations that are as discreet as possible. During butt lift surgery, the doctor may make an incision along the upper curve of the buttocks or beneath the buttocks in the crease at the top of the thigh. For some procedures, the surgeon may place an incision between the buttocks.
- The doctor lifts the buttocks to remove and tighten extra skin. The surgeon may use strategically placed stitches or other approaches to help smooth skin and shape curves.
- If the surgery includes butt augmentation, the surgeon may use minimally invasive instruments during liposuction [link to https://wexnermedical.osu.edu/plastic-surgery/cosmetic-surgery/liposuction] to suction fat out of predetermined fatty areas on the body. This fat is processed and liquified before it’s transferred to the buttocks area. The doctor injects the fat through small incisions to transfer or graft the fat.
- If the surgery involves implants, your doctor will place these in or above underlying muscle tissues depending on treatment goals. Silicone implants are the most common option. There are many implant varieties, styles and choices. The surgeon will discuss implant materials and placement, including the benefits and risks of each product and approach, in pre-operative appointments.
After the procedure
When you awaken after surgery, you can expect some redness and inflammation in treated areas of the body. This goes away as your skin starts to heal. Your doctor can give you medication to keep you comfortable.
You’ll be monitored as you awaken to ensure your condition is stable, and you’ll have a short hospital stay. The doctor will evaluate your condition and discuss discharge and home care instructions. For best results and for your safety, it’s important to follow instructions carefully before and after surgery.
Results of butt lift surgery
You’ll notice visible results right away, including natural curves and a more firm and youthful shape. If you have butt augmentation surgery, you’ll have additional fullness, roundness and projection. Fat and tissues will continue to settle for up to a year after your procedure before your ideal result is complete.
If you have liposuction and fat transfer, newly grafted fat is permanent, although some is naturally absorbed by your body. However, the majority of transferred fat remains in place. Like other fat cells in the buttocks area, it will get larger or smaller if you gain or lose significant amounts of weight. Maintaining a steady weight and healthy lifestyle will help extend the life of your new look.
Risks of butt lift surgery
Risks of butt lift surgery vary with each person, condition and procedure. The experienced plastic surgeons at Ohio State take steps to protect your health and safety during any surgical procedure. Your plastic surgeon will evaluate your condition, medical history, goals and expectations to help you make an informed decision about your surgery.
Your surgeon will talk with you about health conditions and other requirements to have the surgery, such as:
- Stable weight
- Healthy skin with some elasticity
- Good physical and emotional health
- Free of certain conditions that can raise risks or slow healing
- Avoidance of smoking or substance abuse
- Reasonable expectations for results
Your doctor will discuss these and other potential complications of butt lift surgery:
- Anesthesia reaction
- Blood clotting
- Changes in skin sensation
- Fat embolism (clot) in some fat grafting procedures
- Fluid accumulation
- Redness and inflammation
- Uneven or unexpected results
Why choose Ohio State for butt lift surgery?
It’s essential to choose a trusted medical center and an experienced, board certified plastic surgeon for safe and successful results. Butt lift surgery has been popularized by trending celebrities, and not all doctors are properly qualified to safely perform this procedure. Brazilian butt lift procedures carry an added risk of fat embolism if carelessly performed by inexperienced doctors.
At Ohio State, you’re assured of care from seasoned and skilled surgeons who are part of a nationally recognized, multispecialty health care team. You’re cared for in accredited surgical facilities by respected surgeons.
The plastic surgery team at the Ohio State Wexner Medical Center is led by accomplished surgeons with advanced, fellowship-level training in this specialty.
Ohio State is renowned academic and research leader. Our plastic surgeons use the latest, clinically tested approaches that prioritize safety and successful outcomes.
Ohio State offers comprehensive care across a full range of plastic surgery specialties, including liposuction, body contouring, nonsurgical facial and skin rejuvenation and skin care consultation. Our doctors can make recommendations to help you achieve your best look, from head to toe.