Athletic trainers connect the dots between basic health care and physical activity. Their top priority is always the best interest of the athlete.
Our licensed athletic trainers are healthcare professionals who specialize in preventing, recognizing, managing and rehabilitating injuries that result from physical activity. As part of a complete healthcare team, the certified athletic trainer works under the direction of a licensed physician and in cooperation with other healthcare professionals, athletics administrators, coaches and parents.Many sports medicine athletic trainers with The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center have a master’s degree or additional qualifications in physical therapy and exercise science related fields. These professionals have critical hands-on experience as well as textbook know-how, including extensive orthopedic and musculoskeletal education.
Our athletic trainers are involved with providing coverage for athletic events, assisting in physician clinics and physical therapy and coordinating educational offerings as part of our outreach in the community.
In The Physician's Office
The same triage, injury evaluation and decision-making skills that are at work on the sideline are valuable for you as a patient, too. Many of our athletic trainers serve as physician extenders in our clinic as well, where we take patient histories, prepare injections, assist with physical therapy and rehabilitation, fit patients for braces or crutches and more.
Our athletic trainers coordinate sports physicals for teams, schools and groups where we have established partnerships. Individuals may schedule their sports physical with our providers as well.
On The Sideline
- High schools: Columbus Academy, Columbus City, Columbus School for Girls, Granville, Grove City Christian, Olentangy district, Upper Arlington
- Collegiate partners: Capital University, Ohio State Athletics
- Professional teams: Columbus Clippers/Cleveland Indians, USA Rugby
- Clubs and groups: Columbus Crusaders, Columbus Eastside Running Club, Columbus Westside Running Club, Dublin Crew, New Era Golf, Ohio State Club and Rec Sports, Ohio State ROTC
- Performing Arts organizations: BalletMet Columbus, Ohio State Department of Dance, Ohio State Marching Band
- Events and facilities: Bo Jackson's Elite Sports, D1 Columbus, Pelotonia, Ross TriFit Challenge, Special Olympics, YMCA
These physicians and athletic trainers are present on the sidelines, ready to evaluate and diagnose injured athletes on the spot. They are usually the first to triage an injury and are highly trained to make the right diagnosis and decisions quickly. Our athletic trainers are relied on for everything from injury and illness prevention and assessment to first aid and emergency care to ImPACTTM concussion testing and return-to-play decisions.
If your team or group would like to add these types of services and expertise, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.