Leading the way with advances in skin care
Ohio State offers medical-grade, noninvasive cosmetic services using products and treatments not available at traditional spas. Plastic surgeons at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center in Columbus offer a full range of spa services, including beautifying, health-enhancing facial and head-to-toe cosmetic therapies from board certified plastic surgeons who provide trusted, high-quality products, advanced procedures and tailored treatment plans.
Your choices are guided by specialized doctors who practice with results-oriented expertise.
Our spa services help you look and feel your best
Plastic surgeons at the Ohio State Wexner Medical Center offer a wide array of doctor-guided aesthetic therapies to treat, renew and protect your skin — the body’s largest organ. Your skin serves many important functions, including protecting organs and systems within your body, as well as on the surface of your skin and deep within its subdermal layers. To maintain your best health (and a healthy glow, too), it’s important to take good care of your skin. Our doctors will help you to stay healthy and put your best face and body forward, from head to toe.
Ohio State’s med spa services
Treatments available at Ohio State range from body and skin care therapeutics for nearly any area of your body to targeted cosmetic surgery choices and non-surgical face and skin rejuvenation. At Ohio State, you’ll find a wide array of aesthetic treatment approaches that work together to make subtle or dramatic improvements in your appearance. Your doctor can discuss different treatment options used alone or in combinations to treat common concerns such as:
- Dull skin, fine lines, wrinkles and folds
- Sun damage, spots and spider veins
- Large pores, acne or mild scarring
- Thinning hair and brows, stray hairs and undefined or unruly brows
- Stubborn fatty deposits
- Other skin and body cosmetic problems
Non-surgical treatment options
If you’re considering spa services, schedule an appointment with an Ohio State plastic surgeon. Your doctor will help you combine therapies and make the ideal choices to meet your personal treatment goals.
Custom facials — Your doctor will design a customized facial with your unique skin concerns in mind. All facials, 30 or 60 minutes, include a thorough skin assessment and personalized plan. At Ohio State, our goal is to deliver impactful results using medical-grade skincare technology while you relax and unwind. Facials may include:
- Facial masks
HydraFacial™ — This hydradermabrasion procedure combines cleansing, exfoliation, extraction, hydration and antioxidant protection together in one treatment. This gives you clearer, more radiant skin instantly, with no downtime. Each HydraFacial includes a dermaplane treatment and customized options. You can add therapies such as booster serums, LED light therapy and lymphatic drainage therapy to your treatment.
Microneedling — Microneedling harnesses your body’s natural healing process using the Food and Drug Administration (FDA)-approved SkinPen®. You can experience a glowing complexion immediately, with minimal downtime.
Dermaplane — Dermaplane is a gentle and effective exfoliating treatment. The doctor uses a surgical blade to remove dead skin and fine facial hair with no downtime. Dermaplane treatment instantly improves skin smoothness and clarity. It increases the absorption of topical products and provides a smooth canvas for even makeup application. It’s a popular option to include along with other facial treatments.
Chemical peels — Ohio State offers medical-grade chemical peels that are safe and effective for all skin types and conditions. They range from superficial (little to no peeling) to medium depth (up to seven days of peeling). Peels are catered to your needs to rejuvenate your skin, restore radiance and promote a youthful appearance. Peels help correct problems such as sun damage, uneven pigments, acne and fine lines.
Brow and lash services — Doctors offer multiple options to give you better brows by reshaping, adding color and creating appealing, natural lines and looks to create an alert look with brighter, more attractive eyes. Services include:
Tinting — This quick treatment can enhance and define your eyebrows and lashes. The pigment is specially formulated for the brows and lashes. It lasts up to four weeks.
Microblading — Microblading is a tattooing technique that creates hair-like strokes. This results in natural, defined and long-lasting brows.
Eyebrow shaping — Using either wax or tweezing, your specialist will create the brow shape that is most flattering for you.
Cool Sculpting® — This is the leading non-surgical procedure FDA-cleared to eliminate stubborn fat on targeted areas of the body. Commonly treated areas include the belly, flanks, thighs, back, arms and chin. Cool sculpting is a good option if you’re at or near your ideal body weight but have areas of excess fat. It can help get you reach your weight-loss goals in as little as 30 days.
Platelet rich plasma (PRP) — PRP therapy uses your own blood, which goes through a special treatment system to create concentrated blood platelets. Types of PRP available at Ohio State include:
- Skin rejuvenation — Microneedling coupled with the FDA-cleared ProGen PRP™ Platelet Concentration System can create faster, more dramatic changes by using your body’s own growth factors to promote healing and cellular regeneration. The goal is to reduce the appearance of acne scars, fine lines and uneven texture, and reduce pore size.
- Hair restoration — PRP with the FDA-cleared ProGen PRP™ Platelet Concentration System uses your own blood to support current hair follicles and promote new growth. The doctor makes noninvasive scalp injections. This therapy delivers a high concentration of growth factors. After three to four quick treatments, you’ll experience hair growth and less thinning with no downtime.
Cosmetic injectables — Doctors can treat common age-related problems with cosmetic injection therapies. These include:
- Wrinkle relaxers — Therapies such as Botox® or Dysport® can decrease visible signs of aging. They can diminish forehead wrinkles, frown lines and crow's feet. Doctors also use relaxers to treat facial conditions such as a down-turned smile, a “gummy” smile and neck bands. Wrinkle relaxers work by decreasing muscle activity in affected areas.
- Fillers – Products such as Juvederm® or Restalyne® can rejuvenate your face by replacing lost volume and reducing wrinkles. Various types of filler are available. Each is designed to reach specific treatment goals. Commonly treated areas include the lips, lines and folds around the mouth, cheeks, chin and areas under the eyes.
- Kybella® — Doctors use these noninvasive injections to improve your appearance and profile by reducing fat below the chin.
Medical-grade skin care — Quality skin care products are safer and more effective than common, unreliable alternatives that aren’t good for your skin. The plastic surgeons at Ohio State use medically advanced, tested and trusted skin care products and brands such as:
- PCA Skin®
- ZO® Skin Health
Laser treatments — Laser treatments at Ohio State use the latest technologies and approaches to treat targeted skin care challenges. Available options include:
- Broad Band Light or BBL™ — This noninvasive treatment precisely targets age and sun spots, small facial veins, rosacea and other skin conditions. BBL can be used on any part of the body. Commonly treated areas include the face, neck, chest and hands. Each treatment is customized to your goals. Results are noticeable within five days with virtually no downtime.
- Forever Bare™ Hair Removal — Traditional hair removal methods are often unpleasant, painful and temporary. Laser hair removal uses gentle pulses of energy to target the hair follicle. This results in nearly painless and permanent hair removal. Doctors can treat the face, arms, back, chest, bikini line or legs.
- Profractional™ — This laser treatment improves the overall appearance of your skin by smoothing fine lines, wrinkles and scars and promoting collagen remodeling. Only a portion of your skin is targeted with the laser. The surrounding, untreated tissue has a rapid healing response creating new collagen, which increases firmness. There is very little downtime with this option.
- MicroLaserPeel® — Doctors slough away the outermost layers of the skin, removing sun damage and fine lines to reveal a fresh, smooth, healthy complexion. The Microlaser Peel is variable and the resurfacing level is tailored to specific concerns such as discoloration, skin texture problems and common signs of aging.
- Deep resurfacing – If you have stubborn lines or deep-set wrinkles, deep skin resurfacing can help. It completely rejuvenates skin to improve the appearance of furrows, nose-to-mouth marionette lines, lip lines and other signs of aging. This treatment will also revitalize tone and texture and can treat sun damage, scarring, actinic keratosis.
It’s common to combine non-surgical therapies with cosmetic surgery procedures to achieve your desired treatment goals and look.