Ohio State's wound experts can help prevent the loss of a limb.
Vascular diseases, such as peripheral arterial disease and diabetes, account for more than half the amputations in the United States. With early intervention and expert care, many of these limbs could be saved. The experts at the Limb Preservation Program within the Ohio State Comprehensive Wound Center employ the latest therapies and technologies to treat patients with limb-threatening conditions.
The success of our Limb Preservation Program comes from its unique ability to draw on the expertise of healthcare professionals from multiple disciplines. From diagnosis through treatment and follow-up, we use the best, most-effective practices from each discipline to attain better healing and optimal outcomes for each patient.
If you’re at risk of losing a limb, we can help. We offer the most advanced techniques for treating limb-threatening conditions, such as:
- Diabetic foot ulcers or other diabetes-related wound infections
- Advanced peripheral arterial disease
- Acute and chronic infections
If your physician has mentioned amputation as a possible outcome of your condition, contact the experts at the Ohio State Limb Preservation Program for another opinion. With your permission, our wound healing team can discuss with your physician your situation and potential alternative treatments that may result in a more positive outcome.
Pathway to Healing
From your first visit, you will notice that the Limb Preservation Program combines expert medical treatments with personalized and convenient care. For example, a physician referral is not necessary. You can schedule your own appointment (see appointment information on this page). You can typically see an Ohio State wound specialist within seven days. In addition, parking is free and convenient.
Our expert staff will perform diagnostic work and develop a healing plan that meets your individual needs. We can then schedule any necessary procedures. We work collaboratively with specialists in vascular medicine, endocrinology, surgery, physical therapy, nutrition and other specialties to design a comprehensive care program that draws from the latest treatments for wound healing.
Advanced Diagnostics and Treatments
Our Noninvasive Peripheral Vascular Lab specializes in using pain-free imaging technologies to determine blood flow and blood-oxygen content to help determine the cause of many slow-healing wounds. Our advanced digital technologies allow for quick information transfer, which means faster, more accurate diagnoses and earlier starts to appropriate treatments.
Diagnosis may include:
- Ultrasound, or sonography, is a quick, painless procedure that uses sound waves to create images of organs and structures in the body — without radiation exposure. This powerful imaging tool helps doctors diagnose disease and gather information to plan an ongoing, successful treatment program.
- Transcutaneous Oxygen Measurement is a noninvasive test to measure the blood flow and oxygen levels in tissue. Doctors use this exam to evaluate circulation, determine your tissue’s healing capacity and decide which treatments will be most effective.
After diagnosis, your expert wound healing team will design a comprehensive, multidisciplinary treatment approach that offers the best pathway for optimal healing and limb preservation.
Treatment may include:
- Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy, which is a painless, noninvasive procedure in which you breathe pure oxygen in a compression chamber to increase oxygen levels in tissues to improve healing
- Minimally Invasive Vascular Procedures that can help diagnose and treat vascular conditions, such as narrowed or blocked arteries, and also improve circulation and promote healing
- Complex Surgical Reconstruction to repair damaged tissue, restore circulation and promote healing
Ongoing, Preventive Care
The Ohio State Comprehensive Wound Center offers ongoing care as well as referral to medical and rehabilitation services that promote healing, wellness and the prevention of recurring wounds.