To evaluate your concussion, we use standardized assessment tools such as the ImPACT test and the third edition of the Sport Concussion Assessment Tool (SCAT3), which tests memory, concentration, recall, balance and coordination, in our initial and follow-up evaluations.
If concussion symptoms linger for more than a day, we can evaluate you at our Sports Medicine Concussion Clinic. We offer children and adults:
- Availability to see you within 24-48 hours
- Concussion evaluation and management by physicians who specialize in head trauma
- Evaluation, management of the injury and individualized rehabilitation for safe return to sport, work and academics
- The convenience of evaluation, testing and imaging in one location
At your initial visit, we will obtain a complete history and conduct a physical exam. We use assessment tools, including:
- ImPACT Neuropsychological Testing: This is a computer software tool that helps providers examine symptoms, conditions and brain functions including memory, attention, how quickly you process information, reaction time and orientation. ImPACT takes approximately 20 to 30 minutes to complete.
- Balance Testing/Posturography: We perform assessment of your somatosensory (ability to determine touch, temperature and your body’s position in space), visual (ability to see movement) and vestibular (ability to balance or maintain equilibrium) systems. People with concussion have difficultly integrating information from these three components of the balance mechanism. This Modified Balance Error Scoring System (BESS) takes approximately five minutes.