The Ohio State Department of Neurology wants to stay connected to the community!
Please follow us on social media. Keep up-to-date on our efforts to promote greater diversity.
Interested in a career at Ohio State? Consider joining our department as well. You'll find current job listings here.
In the Department of Neurology, we value different perspectives and how each person can drive discussion and new improvements that we may have never considered individually. We strive to support a diverse, talented workforce that is truly inclusive. We recognize the value of broad perspectives and how varied characteristics and life experiences enrich our work and learning environment.
Formally writing our goals for diversity, equity and inclusion, holds us accountable. It shows our serious intent and keeps our efforts centered on what we want to accomplish now and in the future.
"The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center Department of Neurology is committed to the values of diversity, equity and inclusion. We uphold these values by embracing the diversity of all of our employees, creating a supportive environment of professionalism and success. We strive to recruit and retain a diverse group of faculty and staff who can fully develop their talents through accessing equal and all opportunities for growth. We enhance our understanding of these issues by researching and devising strategies to eliminate health disparities among groups of patients with neurological disorders from different ethnic, racial and socioeconomic backgrounds. We believe that the values of diversity, equity and inclusion are essential to achieving excellence in our academic mission and in patient care."
Increase the visibility of The Ohio State University Department of Neurology among under-represented minorities in medicine through contacts with professional societies, advertisements, social media and the Department of Neurology website
- Develop outreach programs to encourage interest in Neurology among women and underrepresented minorities in The Ohio State University student body (medical, graduate and undergraduate students) and local high schools.
- Have a representative on each Department of Neurology search committee to promote diversity and gender equity among the pool of potential faculty candidates
- Have a representative on the Department of Neurology residency interview and selection committee to promote diversity and gender equity in the residency program
- Initiate programs within the department to uncover, address and reduce obstacles and biases faced by our faculty members, staff and trainees who are women
- Initiate programs within the department to uncover, address and reduce obstacles and biases faced by our faculty members, staff and trainees who are from underrepresented minorities
- Initiate programs within the department to uncover, address and reduce obstacles and biases faced by our faculty members, staff and trainees who are members of the LGBTQ community
- Initiate programs within the department to uncover, address and reduce obstacles and biases faced by faculty members who were born outside of the United States
- Introduce programs and enhance curricula to educate medical students, residents, fellows and faculty about issues related to diversity, equity and inclusion, including unconscious bias in physician-patient interactions and inter-professional relationships, health care disparities and heterogeneity across patient groups with regard to risk factors, including therapeutic responsiveness and comorbidities
Talk is a start, but action is what proves how seriously we take our commitment to change. Our department not only has a formal plan in place, but we are taking the steps necessary to continue ongoing progress.
- Scheduled Grand Rounds diversity presentations
- Quinn Capers, MD - September 15, 2020
- Darrell Gray, MD - January 19, 2021
- Barbara Jobst, MD - February 16, 2021
- Bruce Ovbiagele, MD, MAS - August 17, 2021
- Allison Willis, MD - November 16, 2021
- Jonathon Jackson, PhD - January 25, 2022
- Dean Perry Halkitis, PhD, MS, MPH - February 8, 2022
- Monthly diversity committee meetings
- First Gen, MD - Virtual pre-med student event (Twitter: @FirstGenMD)
- 2022 Neurotherapeutics Virtual Symposium - "Integrating Equity within Translational Research"
- Columbus Free Clinic - Neurology
Medical center and College of Medicine recognition
- #4 on Forbes list of Best Employers for Diversity in the U.S.
- Named an HRC Healthcare Equality Index Leader for three consecutive years
- #4 ranking for percentage of African-American medical students at a non-Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCU)
- INSIGHT into Diversity, the oldest and largest diversity-focused publication in higher education, recognized Ohio State’s College of Medicine with the 2019 Health Professions Higher Education Excellence in Diversity (HEED) Award.
Department Committee to Foster Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Additional Support Services